Wednesday, July 1, 2009

How fragile life is

Sometimes it takes dramatic, life changing events to make you really tke stock in what you have and what you are doing. Today is one of those days. This will probably the only time I speak or write about this in detail and I am only doing it to gte all of this off my chest.

Regardless of what I say and regardless of how much I might complain, I truly believe that I have had a very forutnate and blessed life.

Last night, the apartment below mine caught on fire, killing the two occupants in there sleep.

http://ourmidland.com/articles/2009/07/01/police_and_courts/doc4a4b6b5e4f811606246104.txt

The crazy part is that the only reason that I woke up was because the firefighters were in the process of kicking my door in to clear the apartment and make sure the flames didn't spread. The smoke didn't wake me nor did the sirens of the two fire trucks, two ambulances and four police cars. I am pretty sure that I was the last person out of the building, at least on my side of the building.

What is wierd is that today, I feel the safest that I have ever felt living in this apartment. In old apartments like these, I was told that fires spread much easier and cause considerable damage to multiple aka that means I would have been crispier than the Colonel's extra-cripsy chicken. The fire walls and the safeguards in the apartment building are solid which makes me feel very secure. Really the only damage to my apartment is my broken door from when the door was kicked in, the window screens that were broken by the firefighters, a little bit of smoke around the pipe orefices that connect my apartment to the ont below and a smokey smell which will obviously need to be cleaned out.

Anyways, I am perfectly alright and that is what is really important. I think I am fully vented.

These things happen and all we can do is hope and pray that when it does, we come out on the good side.

No comments: